Monday, March 23, 2009

Journal #2

Reading must be the interaction of many variables in the reading process. What kinds of reading interaction have you experienced? Think about your reading process and try to apply your thought into any interaction model introduced in this chapter.

When I read newspaper, I skim the titles at first then pick up the articles that I'm interested in. While I'm reading the article, I skim it to get a general idea and then read it more carefully. During the process, my eye-fixation works differntly (The Just and Carpenter model). For example, when I read a textbook, I read every single word of the article but the duration of the eye-fixation is different. I spend more time to look at the word that I don't understand or I have some difficulties to pronounce.

Also, I usually use the Stanovich model. When I prepared for taking a TOEFL test, I had a hard time to do the reading part because the structures of the passages were so complicated to me and the vocabulary which was very academic was not that familiar with me. However, I was able to read some passages that I had some background knowledge, schema, about.

No comments:

Post a Comment