Click the first hyperlink below "Reading Strategy Checklist." Think back your L2 reading habit and mark the strategies you usually use. Write about your reading strategy patterns. Is your reading strategic? how much? why or why not?
In pre-reading stage, I use almost all strategies (I checked 6 strategies out of 9). Before I read something in L2, I like to get some information through the cover and title. Also I usually skim the contents table then make preditions.
During reading, I make mental pictures what I read. When I read a liturature, I draw a picture of the story in my mind. I identify confusing parts and reread them and use pictures, graphs, and charts to understand the parts. I identify unfamiliar words and use context clues figure out their meanings. Also, I sometimes jot down a tough word and the page its on and ask for help.
I check 2 strategies out of 5 in after reading. After reading, I think about the characters, settings, events, or new information and reread to find support for questions.
I think in pre and during reading stage, I read quite strategically because I use the title and cover to make preditions and try to activate my prior knowledge. Also, I use think-aloud strategy in during reading stage. However, in after reading stage, I need to use more strategies. After I read something, I just close the book and do not review it. Some times I reread to find support for questions but mostly I just think about the characters and some new information. Neither do I write my impresson nor reorganize what I read. Therefore, I need to try to use more strategies after reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment